Access and Functional Needs Citizen Preparedness
Each person’s needs and abilities are unique, but every individual can take important steps to prepare for all kinds of emergencies and put plans in place. By evaluating your own personal needs and making an emergency plan, you can be better prepared for any situation.
Preparing for an Emergency:
- Consider how a disaster might affect your individual needs.
- Plan to make it on your own, at least for a period of time. It’s possible that you will not have access to a medical facility or even a drugstore.
- Identify what kind of resources you use on a daily basis and what you might do if they are limited or not available.
- Create a kit with your unique consideration in mind. What do you need to maintain your health, safety and independence
- If you, a family member or neighbor have difficulty communicating, create card for first reponders that details what you will need and where your emergency supplies are located should you need to be transported or evacuated.
- If you or someone close to you has a disability or other access or functional need, you may have to take additional steps to protect yourself and your family
- Find out about individual assistance that may be available in your community.
Who are Individuals with Access & Functional Needs?
- Those who are deaf or hard of hearing may need to make special arrangements to receive emergency warnings.
- Single working parents and those with limited English proficiency may need help planning for disasters and emergencies. Community, faith-based and cultural groups may be able to help keep people informed.
- People without vehicles may need to make arrangements for transportation.
- People with special dietary needs should take precautions to have an adequate emergency food supply
For more information about access and functional needs citizen preparedness visit www.ready.gov/individuals-access-functional-needs
Download the Emergency Management Be Prepared Kit for those that have daily functioning needs. Click be-prepared-kit.